According to homethodology, Panama City Beach is a tourist destination located in Bay County, Florida. The population of Panama City Beach is estimated to be around 12,018 according to the 2020 U.S. Census Bureau estimate. This city lies along the Gulf of Mexico and is best known for its stunning white sand beaches and emerald green waters. The climate in Panama City Beach is typically warm and humid with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s in winter to the mid-90s in summer months.
The history of Panama City Beach dates back to 1513 when Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon first made landfall there. The area was used as a military base during World War II and was later developed into a tourist destination due to its beautiful beaches and shoreline. Politically, Panama City Beach falls within the jurisdiction of Bay County, which is governed by a five member board of commissioners elected by residents of the county.
The economy of Panama City Beach relies heavily on tourism with many hotels, restaurants, and other attractions catering to visitors from all over the world. Additionally, there are numerous businesses that provide goods and services such as retail stores, banks, medical facilities, marinas, golf courses, fishing charters and more that are all important components of the local economy. In terms of education, there are several public schools within Bay County including four high schools; Arnold High School; Bay High School; Jinks Middle School; and Mowat Middle School as well as numerous elementary schools throughout the county.
When it comes to landmarks in Panama City Beach there are many places worth visiting including St Andrews State Park which features miles of pristine white sand beaches; Shipwreck Island Waterpark; Gulf World Marine Park which offers up close encounters with dolphins; Pier Park Shopping Center which has over 100 stores for shopping; Shell Island where you can explore miles of uninhabited beachfronts; Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum for some interesting oddities; WonderWorks an interactive science museum; Coconut Creek Family Fun Park for mini golfing fun; Goofy Golf which offers two 18 hole mini golf courses plus more! There is also an abundance of nature trails throughout this area if you’re looking for outdoor activities like hiking or biking!
Population: 7,671. Estimated population in July 2020: 11,477 (+49.6% change)
Males: 3,846 (50.1%), Females: 3,825 (49.9%)
Zip codes: 32407, 32413.
Median resident age: 44.4 years
Median household income: $41,198
Median house value: $117,000
Races in Panama City Beach:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.6%)
- Hispanic (2.2%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Black (0.9%)
Ancestries: English (17.7%), German (17.4%), Irish (14.8%), United States (11.1%), Italian (3.6%), French (3.1%).
Elevation: 7 feet
Land area: 6.9 square miles
Panama City Beach, Florida is home to a diverse population of approximately 12,000 people. The majority of the population is made up of Caucasian individuals, but there are also African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians and Pacific Islanders present in the community. The median age of the population is 32 years old. There are many young adults in the area due to its proximity to college campuses such as Florida State University and Gulf Coast State College. Additionally, Panama City Beach has become a popular destination for retirees who are looking for a warm climate and friendly atmosphere.
The city also has a thriving business district with numerous restaurants and shopping centers. Tourists flock to Panama City Beach each year for its beautiful beaches and exciting nightlife. In addition to the beach activities, there are plenty of other attractions like golf courses, amusement parks, museums, aquariums and more that make Panama City Beach an ideal vacation spot for all ages. The city is also home to several military bases which contribute to both the economy and culture of the area. With its diverse population and wide array of activities available in Panama City Beach, it is easy to see why this charming beach town continues to be a popular destination for tourists from around the world.
For population 25 years and over in Panama City Beach
- High school or higher: 87.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.1%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Panama City Beach city
- Never married: 15.7%
- Now married: 61.5%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 14.5%
4.1% Foreign born (2.2% Europe, 0.8% Latin America, 0.7% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +3,482 (+83.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Panama City Beach:
- GULF COAST MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL)
- HEALTHSOUTH EMERALD COAST REHAB HOSP (about 13 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL)
- BAY MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Panama City Beach:
- PANAMA CITY-BAY CO INTL (about 13 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; Abbreviation: PFN)
- HURLBURT FIELD (about 60 miles; MARY ESTHER, FL; Abbreviation: HRT)
- DOTHAN RGNL (about 82 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Abbreviation: DHN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Panama City Beach:
- DEFUNIAK SPRINGS (about 41 miles; DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL; Abbreviation: 54J)
- DESTIN-FORT WALTON BEACH (about 45 miles; DESTIN, FL; Abbreviation: DTS)
- TRI-COUNTY (about 47 miles; BONIFAY, FL; Abbreviation: 1J0)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Panama City Beach:
- GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,140)
- OKALOOSA-WALTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; NICEVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,374)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-DOTHAN (about 78 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,703)
- PENSACOLA JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 95 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,036)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA (about 97 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,282)
- TALLAHASSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 107 miles; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 7,016)
- FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 109 miles; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 29,949)
Public high school in Panama City Beach:
- ARNOLD HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,268; Location: 550 ALF COLEMAN ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Panama City Beach:
- SURFSIDE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,112; Location: 300 NAUTILUS STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- PATRONIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 888; Location: 7400 PATRONIS DRIVE; Grades: PK – 06)
- HUTCHISON BEACH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 746; Location: 12900 MIDDLE BEACH ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- WEST BAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 338; Location: 14813 SCHOOL DRIVE; Grades: PK – 05)