According to homethodology, Gates, Oregon is a small community of approximately 1,100 people located on the east side of the Willamette Valley in Marion County. The city is situated in an area with rolling hills and lush green forests. It has a mild climate with temperatures ranging from hot summers to cold winters.
The history of Gates dates back to the mid-1800s when it was first settled by pioneers who were drawn to the area for its rich soil and abundant timber resources. In the early 1900s, Gates was incorporated as a village and became a center for logging and lumber production. During this time period, many small businesses began to flourish in Gates, including sawmills, gristmills, and general stores.
The politics of Gates are dominated by conservative values that have been passed down through generations of families living in the community. The economy is mainly based around agriculture and manufacturing, but there are also some service-oriented businesses in town. The schools in Gates include both public elementary schools and one high school that serves students from several surrounding communities.
Gates has several notable landmarks that attract visitors from all over the state including an old-fashioned general store called “The Store” which is still open for business today; a historic church that was built in 1891; and a local park where residents can enjoy nature trails, picnic areas, playgrounds, tennis courts, and fishing spots. For those looking for something more adventurous there are also several nearby rivers where visitors can go kayaking or canoeing.
Population: 471. Estimated population in July 2020: 475 (+0.8% change)
Males: 241 (51.2%), Females: 230 (48.8%)
Zip code: 97346
Median resident age: 46.7 years
Median household income: $32,344
Median house value: $119,000
Races in Gates:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.6%)
- American Indian (8.1%)
- Hispanic (6.4%)
- Two or more races (5.3%)
- Other race (4.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (16.1%), English (15.5%), United States (14.0%), Irish (12.7%), Dutch (4.7%), Norwegian (3.4%).
Elevation: 942 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Gates, Oregon is a small town located in Linn County with a population of about 2000. The median age is 45 and the average household size is 2.5 people. The majority of the population is white with a small percentage of African American, Hispanic, and Asian residents. The median household income is around $50,000 and the poverty rate is 15%.
The cost of living in Gates, Oregon is relatively low compared to other areas in Oregon. Housing costs are especially low with the median home value being around $150,000 making it an affordable place to live for families and individuals alike. Utility costs are also reasonably priced with electricity costing about $100 per month on average for a family of four. Transportation costs are also affordable as there are multiple bus lines that run through the city making it easy to get around without needing a car or other forms of transportation. Additionally, there are many local stores providing groceries and other necessities at reasonable prices making it easy to maintain a budget-friendly lifestyle in Gates.
For population 25 years and over in Gates
- High school or higher: 78.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 6.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gates city
- Never married: 16.6%
- Now married: 61.5%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 9.6%
- Divorced: 8.8%
1.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -16 (-3.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gates:
- SANTIAM MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; STAYTON, OR)
- SILVERTON HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; SILVERTON, OR)
- MID VALLEY HEALTHCARE/LEBANON (about 34 miles; LEBANON, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gates:
- MCNARY FLD (about 42 miles; SALEM, OR; Abbreviation: SLE)
- MC MINNVILLE MUNI (about 58 miles; MC MINNVILLE, OR; Abbreviation: MMV)
- PORTLAND INTL (about 59 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Abbreviation: PDX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gates:
- DAVIS (about 2 miles; GATES, OR; Abbreviation: 6S4)
- PORTLAND-MULINO (about 33 miles; PORTLAND-MULINO, OR; Abbreviation: 4S9)
- LENHARDT AIRPARK (about 36 miles; HUBBARD, OR; Abbreviation: 7S9)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gates:
- CHEMEKETA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 41 miles; SALEM, OR; Full-time enrollment: 5,253)
- WILLAMETTE UNIVERSITY (about 41 miles; SALEM, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,325)
- CLACKAMAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; OREGON CITY, OR; Full-time enrollment: 3,446)
- LINN-BENTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 48 miles; ALBANY, OR; Full-time enrollment: 3,057)
- MT HOOD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 52 miles; GRESHAM, OR; Full-time enrollment: 4,867)
- LEWIS AND CLARK COLLEGE (about 53 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,795)
- PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 13,255)
Public primary/middle school in Gates:
- GATES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 240; Location: GATES SCHOOL RD; Grades: KG – 04)