The 10 Largest Ports in the World
One dominant factor is decisive for the position of international ports in the ranking of the 10 largest ports in the world: the number of standard containers handled in the respective port. A standard container is 2.438 meters wide and 6.058 meters long.
- Rotterdam (Netherlands)
Although the port of Rotterdam, located in the Rhine-Maas delta at the mouth of the Rhine, is by far Europe’s largest port facility, the port of Rotterdam, with around 12 million standard-size containers handled, only ranks last in the ranking of the ten largest ports in the world.
- Dubai (Dubai City)
This port is the largest human-made deep-sea port to date. It is located about 40 kilometers from Dubai City and was expanded into an international free trade area in the 1970s. Here on the edge of the desert, an average of 13 million standard containers are handled.
- Qingdao (China)
It is still in eighth place – in 2020 the Chinese port is said to have expanded to become the largest in the world. The port of Qingdao currently has a total of 81 berths for ships. More than
13 million containers – if it is the world’s largest port, it should be at least 30 million standard containers.
- Guangzhou (China)
This Chinese port facility is classified by experts as the third largest Chinese economic factor after Beijing and Shanghai. With almost 15 million containers, it is now China’s fourth largest port – or number five if Hong Kong is included.
- Ningbo-Zhoushan-Hafen (China)
It was created through the merger of the Chinese ports of Ningbo and Zhoushan in January 2006. Today the port on the Chinese east coast handles around 15 million standard containers.
- Busan (South Korea)
This South Korean port occupies a middle place in the ranking of the ten largest ports in the world. The container throughput is growing continuously and is currently around 17 million. This port is also South Korea’s most important logistics center.
- Shenzhen (China)
The port of Shenzhen in the south of the Guangdong province is currently the second largest port in China, with around 23 million standard containers handled.
- Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
Even in the days when Hong Kong was still a British crown colony, the port of Hong Kong was the world’s most important transshipment point for international industrial products. Today Hong Kong is an economically strong special administrative region on the south coast of China – with a handling of around 25 million containers, Hong Kong’s port is the third largest port in the world.
“Majulah Singapura” is the motto of the smallest country in Southeast Asia. Translated from the Malay it means “Forward, Singapore”. True to this motto, the Port of Singapore has developed into the second largest port on earth with around 30 million containers handled.
- Shanghai (China)
Shanghai is by far the most important industrial city in the People’s Republic of China. The port of Shanghai handles most of the Chinese foreign trade as well as the inner-Chinese coastal trade via six high-performance terminals and the new Yangshan deep-water port in Hangzhou Bay. The merger of various high-performance systems currently handles around 32 million standard containers.
- Africa Economy
- African Economy
- Argentina As a Destination Country
- Asia Morphological Features
- Australia Economic Sectors
- Cambodia Exotic Diversity
- Costa Rica As a Tourist Country
- Costa Rica Volcanoes Beaches Impressive Rainforests
- European Union Eu
- Namibia Against All Odds
- Norway Home to Magnificent Mountains
- Safari and Nature Trips in Africa
- Turkey Destinations
- Yale University November 28, 2023 - Yale University, located in New Haven, Connecticut, is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the United States. Established in 1701, Yale has a rich history of academic… Read more
- Benefits of Sourcing from China November 21, 2023 - China has become a global powerhouse in manufacturing and trade, offering a vast array of products to businesses around the world. The benefits of sourcing from China are manifold, attracting… Read more
- Doucette, Texas November 14, 2023 - Doucette, Texas, is a small town with a rich geography that adds to its charm and appeal. Nestled in the heart of East Texas, Doucette is located in Tyler County… Read more
- Dudley, Missouri November 7, 2023 - Dudley, Missouri is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. Nestled in Stoddard County, Dudley is known for its picturesque landscapes, rolling hills, and charming rural… Read more
- Lake Alfred, Florida October 31, 2023 - Lake Alfred, Florida, is a charming town located in Polk County. Nestled in the heart of Central Florida, it boasts a unique geography that offers a mix of natural beauty,… Read more
- Lisbon, Portugal Geography October 23, 2023 - Lisbon, the capital and largest city of Portugal, is renowned for its captivating geography. Situated along the Tagus River and nestled between rolling hills, the city's landscape is a harmonious… Read more
- Woodward, Pennsylvania October 10, 2023 - Woodward, Pennsylvania is a small unincorporated community located in Centre County, in the central part of the state. Situated in the beautiful Bald Eagle Valley, Woodward offers a picturesque landscape… Read more
- Climate in Abuja, Nigeria October 3, 2023 - Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria, is situated in the central part of the country, within the Federal Capital Territory. The city's climate is classified as a tropical wet and… Read more
- Stowe, Vermont September 28, 2023 - According to wholevehicles, Stowe, Vermont is a picturesque town nestled in the heart of the Green Mountains. Known for its stunning natural beauty, Stowe is surrounded by rolling hills, dense… Read more
- Grant, Oklahoma September 27, 2023 - According to wholevehicles, Grant, Oklahoma, located in Choctaw County, is a small town with a rich geographical landscape. Nestled in the southeastern part of the state, Grant enjoys the beauty… Read more